Monday 2 May 2011

Reconsideration of ethics within my workplace (5b)

I was looking through some blogs on ethics for teachers and a link that Mark Illes had posted was extremely insightful. I now feel I have been very narrow minded in my approach to work ethics. This site helped me widen my thinking on ethics.  The site (linked below) has made me re-think. Most of my ethics I stated in my earlier post were all about inclusion and planning and the way a teacher presents themselves to the class, but there really is a lot more to it. This site has opened my mind to the students parents/ guardians,which I had never really considered before. When most parents approach me (although this happens very rarely) asking how they getting? are they progressing? do you think they are talented? I (narrow mindedly) just thought "pushy parents" they just want their children to be famous etc. After reading the article I now feel very shallow and maybe the parent is just asking for the welfare of the child and of course the parent is paying for my service so why shouldn't they ask me any question they would like to ask.
 http://www.education.gov.mt/ministry/doc/code_of_ethics.htm

I also forgot to mention in my last post about the privacy of a student. This is very important to remember. I actually have been put in a privacy situation at one of my places of work. I was told in confidence something about a child, that could really affect their learning and the social side of being in a class. The student didnt know that I knew this piece of information. The parent of the child told my employer and the parent said it could be passed onto me and then no one else.The student didnt want anyone to know as they didnt want to be treated any differntly to any other student. I found this hard as I wanted to ask advice of someone and I felt the only person I could talk to was my eemplyer who at times is hard to get in touch with. In a way I would of rather not known this piece of information as it would then not of played on my mind. If all the student wanted was to be treated the same as everyone else then me not knowning would of helped me in doing this. But is this me just trying to make my life easier, I dont know but I now know how to deal with this kind of situation and feel like a stronger teacher in dealing with this.  I have permission from my employer to talk about the situation in the way that I have done so.

Before looking into ethics I didint really realise how important they are and how often I actually come across ethical situaions. I have never really thought about whats happens after I have taught the student. The consequences of every situuation should be well thought about. Its not always about the teacher and the students, there is alot more to think about in ethics, the community, your colleagues, the parents, the company, other students. Professionalism seems to be vital in teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment