Wednesday 4 May 2011

Critical Reflection and Summary: Online Portfolio


Developing my professional questions was a hard way to start this module for me. After the first campus session, I had a better understanding of this. Once I started thinking of questions within my profession, it all got scrambled in my head so I needed a way of getting this down so I could sort the relevant questions from the irrelevant questions. After reading Stacy Wilsons blog on her lines of inquiry I took a leaf out of Stacy’s book and decided to do a brainstorm of all the questions in my head. (Appendix A). After reading Rosemary McGuiness’s comment on prioritising these questions and deciding which ones are or will be relevant to my professional development, I was able to select 6 questions (Appendix B) which I then took into a meeting I had with Rosemary McGuiness my learning advisor. After looking at my questions rosemary asked what are my career aspirations. So I said I want to go into teaching full time in secondary schools or higher education, from this most of my inquiry questions seemed irrelevant to my career aspirations but more to what it relevant within my career now. There was one question that kept popping into my head (Appendix C). Although again this seemed like a brilliant question for me at that moment in time after researching there wasn’t much literature to help me on this question. I then knew for my inquiry that my question was going to have to be more specific and relevant to my future career aspirations. I then thought that “What are the roles and responsibilities of a dance teacher?” was the question I had been looking for. (Appendix D). 
There is plenty of literature and theories on this inquiry so I though I was sorted. Lesson planning seemed to have caught my attention, and really seemed to have great interest to me. (Appendix E). Most of my research seemed to be going into education, teaching theories and learning styles and after long deliberation I decided I would like Award Title to be in Dance Education. (Appendix F). I then looked into ethics within my career (Appendix G) at that time I hadn’t done any research on ethics I just blogged how I feel ethics come into dance education. I then later read about a link that Mark Illes had posted on his blog. I found this link very insightful and made me feel very narrowed minded to what I had blogged about ethics previously. (Appendix H). I wrote “Before looking into ethics I didn’t really realise how important they are and how often I actually come across ethical situations. I have never really thought about what’s happens after I have taught the student. The consequences of every situation should be well thought about. Its not always about the teacher and the students, there is a lot more to think about in ethics, the community, your colleagues, the parents, the company, other students. Professionalism seems to be vital in teaching.” This was a turning point for me and really opened my mind to ethics within dance education. Piloting various inquiry tools such as, Survey’s, Interviews, Observations and focus groups gave me a experience is the questions right, there is no point holding an interview if the questions you are asking aren’t going to help with your inquiry. After piloting these inquiry tools I assessed the merits and limitations of each tool. (Appendix I), J, K, L, M). In my blog I have written this as Advantages and Disadvantages. From my pilot survey I got some excellent results but after evaluating my questions they were not all specific to my inquiry. From reading back over my blogs and research that I have been doing I realised that my line of inquiry could be more specific (Appendix N). I was still going to keep the research that I had been doing as it still plays a part into my inquiry. Reviewing literature is going to play a big part of my inquiry as I will be using these teaching theories and ideas that I find to help me improve as a teacher. The literature that I reviewed on Geoff Petty’s- Teaching today (Appendix O ) made me understand how important it is to plan for differentiation within the lesson. This is something that I hoping to be able to inquire into so that all of my students can benefit from their dance lesson. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment